Saturday, June 9, 2012

Overdressed and overeducated.

One of my all time favorite sayings is...


I feel as though you should always go out in public looking presentable.  This doesn't mean you have to wear 6 inch stilettos, instead, it could be a pair of khaki shorts, simple white tee and flat sandals.  When I was in college, I totally was that girl that rolled into class with my baggiest sweatpants, sweatshirt, hair up, no makeup on.  It wasn't until I moved down south after college that I started caring about how I dressed when I left the house.  Don't get me wrong, when I would go out in college I would put on my heels, skinny jeans, nice shirt, or dress, but I didn't care to put myself together for class or meeting my friends for lunch.  As soon as I moved down to North Carolina, I met a family who looks like they could go up to the country club at any time of the day...even their PJ's consisted of khaki pants sometimes!  They taught me that you never know who you are going to meet,  who you will make an impression on and what connections can do for you in your life.  When you think about the big picture of life, it really is all about the connections you make and people you know.  My thought process changed on how I decide to dress.  I love the feeling of getting my morning started after I put on my nice clothes for the day.  I feel ready to take on the day and ready to meet whomever may cross my path.  I do not dress to impress because I care so much about how I look, I do it more for the feeling I get when I look presentable and for the fact that you never know who you may meet and where that could take you!

I can honestly say that since living in the south, my style has changed!  Most people down here in North Carolina look very nice when headed out.  Most girls wear dresses when going out for a night out on the town, to work, or running errands.  These dresses usually consist of sundresses, dresses with prints (Lilly Pulitzer), or very simple and casual dresses that you can dress up or down.  The men typically wear more khakis than they do back in Michigan, where I'm originally from.  My fiance was born and raised in New York, but I swear he must have been born down south!  He always wears bright colored shorts and a bright shirt.  He loves the store Vineyard Vines, as do I!  It wasn't until I met him that I really started embracing the southern boy style;  It definitely took me some time getting use to.  Now I find myself going towards the colored clothes, collared shirts, and simple jewelry.  I am embracing becoming a "southerner!"



If I could sum up my style in 3 words they would be...

SIMPLE!- I love simplicity.  I usually wear one ring (my engagement ring) and a skinny watch, khaki shorts, shirt, and simple "T" sandals, with little makeup and my hair is usually straight down or in a low pony (this is because I cannot do hair!!)

VERSATILE-  I love wearing sundresses, mostly because they are so comfortable, but also because you can wear a sundress to work, meet friends for happy hour, and then keep it on for date night.

SOUTHERN-  I really have been into the bright colors, cardigans, and anything that looks preppy. Think of Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, LL Bean type of look.  If only dressing preppy didn't cost so much!


Here are some looks that I love <3

I would wear this outfit everyday if I knew I wouldn't see the same people!  This outfit is adorable because it is simple, cute and you can dress it up with a nice purse, or grab your clutch and meet your girlfriends for dinner.  LOVE IT.  



Love how this dress is asymmetrical and love the print.  Great for a night out on the town.  


LOVE ME SOME SEERSUCKER!  This is a typically southern dress and I love the belt and ruffles.  Such a cute date night dress. 



Amen!








No comments:

Post a Comment